Alan's Mystical Musings

Random thoughts and commentary of a SF, Fantasy, and Horror geek.

Friday, December 29, 2006

2007 Not-Quite-a-Resolution a.k.a. Long-Delayed Update

Note to Self: It's your blog. Say whatever you want on it.

Lately I haven't felt like blogging. Or when I did, I thought it wasn't a good idea to post about that particular topic. I sometimes think I just don't have anything interesting to say, or have relevant commentary on anything important. Most of the time I forget my blog's even here.

But now with the New Year almost here, I intend to be more active on my blog. I'll try to actually post about my writing progress, submissions, life in general, etc., maybe even just blogs linking to fun stuff. Whether or not this will actually happen has yet to be determined, but hey, I posted something today.

I'll start off with all the not-too-shabby things I got for Christmas:

4 CDs: Fear of Flying and Mooding by Mya, Can't Take Me Home and Missundaztood by Pink.

Year's Best Fantasy 6 (edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer)
2007 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.
Little Gods (short story collection) by Tim Pratt.
The Empire of Ice Cream / The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and Other Stories (ss collections), both by Jeffrey Ford.
Firebirds Rising (edited by Sharyn November).
Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice.

But the highlight was In the Forest of Forgetting, the first full-length collection by Theodora Goss. I've been waiting for since about the summer of '05, when she announced it was forthcoming. In case you didn't know, she's my favorite fantasy story writer, and I can sound a bit obsessive when I talk about her and her stories. But I know for a fact I'm not the only one, so that's a temporary relief.

Though my Thanksgiving break didn't turn out as good I wanted, due to the death of someone who I kept thinking of every time I wrote about a certain character (who he partly inspired) in my book. For the past two months, including the month right before Thanksgiving, I couldn't get myself to work on my novel for various reasons.

But on Wednesday, Dec. 27th, I put on the music I usually listened to while working on my novel, and found myself working on it again just like before, continuing where I left off.

I'm also working on a quirky fairy-tale retelling, which goes by the working title of "Snow White's Revenge." I now like to think of it as "Snow White Gone Wild," but I won't give away what happens in my version. I'm sort of praying that Shawna McCarthy at Realms of Fantasy has a sense of dark humor, but I'll see.

And that's pretty much it for now. I have nothing else to say, other than I'm overjoyed that Martha Ivery is finally going to prison. 65 months. Mwahahahaha.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and/or holiday season, and Happy New Year.

--Alan (now 15 as of October. I'm not getting old anytime soon.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home